Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Meet...the Tucson Padres!

In the land that is the Padres, a lot of things have been happening recently. However, none of those events felt like an entire blog post. For example, I like the Jorge Cantu signing and I like it more knowing its only $850k. He is a versatile utility player (that seemed redundant) with a decent bat. As a player off the bench, he is a marked upgrade over Matt Stairs last year (sadly, no word on whether Cantu has a fun catchphrase like Stairs' "Swing like you live - hard"). But that's pretty much all I have to say about that for now. Hardly a blog post.

The Padres also released their new camouflage jerseys, called "Digital Camouflage." Here's a look:


*photo courtesy of Corey Brock of MLB.com (@followthepadres via Twitter)

And, the word is that the new grey road jerseys will be revealed tomorrow. Again, interesting, but not enough to fill this space.

But for this Padres fan, one thing grabbed my attention more than any other piece of news this week. The Padres announced awhile ago that their Triple-A affiliate would be playing at least the 2011 season in my hometown of Tucson. I blogged back in October about my excitement of seeing the words "Tucson" and "Padres" next to each other.

Then today, the Tucson Padres logo was revealed. Now. to some this may seem like a minor if not non-story. But, for someone that has such a strong association to both words, seeing them next to each other was nothing short of surreal. So, without further ado, the Tucson Padres:



















First things first, THANK YOU for bringing back the old school script. Astute Padres fans will recognize that script from these formerly maligned but now celebrated jersey of yore:







LOVE the script on this logo. However, I couldn't help but notice the similarity to another iconic logo in Tucson.




















This logo is one of many for the University of Arizona (which, for those who are not aware, and based on how many times I have to tell people that the U of A is NOT in Phoenix that's most of you, is the pride and joy of Tucson, AZ). So there it is. A centaur made up this time, not of man and horse, but of arguably my two biggest sports passions (Chargers notwithstanding for these purposes). I love it. I'm excited for it. And I'm looking forward to making a trip to 100+ degree days to watch the Tucson Padres.


P.S. If you are on Twitter, don't forget to follow @TucsonPadres

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is a good tip particularly to those fresh to the blogosphere.
Brief but very accurate info… Thank you for sharing this one.

A must read article!

Also visit my webpage ... agencies in la palma